It’s FINALLY time to say goodbye to white and grey cabinets, Tuscan design, granite countertops, oil rubbed bronze, and a few other trends that have run their course; and time say hello to some gorgeous and unique kitchens! If you’re considering updating the most important room in your home, here’s what’s cookin’ in the kitchen for the next couple years that will make your space stand out from all your friends and neighbors.
1. Cabinet colors – We’re seeing more bold colors but simple design when it comes to cabinets such as deep blue, green, and matte black, in a flat face or simple shaker. Believe it or not, another trend that’s making a comeback is natural wood textures. It’s been a good 20 years since the last time it was really used, but it’s back again with a modern twist. Again, the cabinet design is kept simple, but we’re seeing a ton of natural white oak and butcher block countertops.
2. Cabinet hardware – To go with these gorgeous new cabinet trends, you may as well jump onto this band wagon because the matte gold hardware isn’t going anywhere! (Also known as brushed brass or champagne) This metallic finish is being used in so many unique ways, from the more traditional cup pulls, to long, modern, European bar pulls. This finish really adds some glamour to any style kitchen.
3. Backsplash – If you’re looking to add even more drama to the center piece of the home, now is the time to be bold with your backsplash. We’re seeing bold patterned tile in all of our favorite kitchens lately, it’s a powerful way to add some serious personality to the space without being overwhelming.
4. Appliances – And speaking of personality, a new and very bold trend that recently started taking off is appliances. Yes, you read that right, appliance companies across the world are partnering with luxury clothing designers to create what I like to call more of an accessory than a necessity in the kitchen.
5. Countertops – We’re seeing more and more warm and dark countertop surfaces such as butcher block, repurposed wood, and soapstone to add some drama in the kitchen, but rest assured, the marble look is still very much a classic.
6. Floating shelves – This is a trend that really helps open up your space, make it feel airy and bigger. More and more people are opting for fewer upper cabinets and instead adding beautiful natural wood shelving where they can also create a display of their unique style.
7. Range hoods – Although it may seem a bit odd to add focus to a functional appliance, quite often the hood acts as a centerpiece and can take up a significant amount of visual space in the kitchen. We’re seeing more custom hoods made from drywall with wood accents, painted shiplap, wainscoting, and contrasting colors. Make this look like a piece of art in your kitchen by adding some custom touches to what can otherwise be an eyesore.
No matter which way you look at it, kitchen trends are getting bold so there’s no reason to hold back when you’re designing your dream space. At TopComp, we’re risk takers too, because we like to stand out from the crowd.