I never thought I’d say this, but floral wallpaper is BACK! But – in a much more bold, big, and beautiful way! There are also a few more patterns and trends that really steal the spotlight and can update your home in not only an inexpensive way, but it can be easily removed and changed. My biggest issue when updating and investing money into a home, is asking myself realistically when it will be updated again and will this current trend I’m choosing stand the test of time – especially with the more expensive projects like kitchens and baths. That’s why we can have so much fun with this amazing wallpaper trend that’s so versatile and best of all: cheap and easy! I’ve rounded up a few of my favorites, and for now lets leave out the real basic ones that had a quick moment in the spot light like faux brick, marble print, and rustic barn wood.
1. FLORAL! – yes, you read that right and it’s not 1970! It’s a less intricate, small, and subtle pattern than before. Its now extra large florals, in moody colors, or even black and white. Used in the right setting such as a small powder room, with wainscoting to minimize the drama, or on a feature wall/area where you want all the attention.
2. Antiqued – This can be taken to mean so many things, whether that means distressed, old-style pattern, or just something that reminds you of a different time. What I mean when I say antiqued is something that can be mixed into your current decor and just look like a muted touch of vintage that adds character and charm, unlike the effect of buying everything from the same catalog page would do.
3. Black and White – A color palette that will literally never go out of style. You can embrace it in a modern setting, traditional, or pretty much anything in between. The versatility is literally endless and it can be minimalist in a way that’s easy to use in even a large space. If you’re opting for a busy pattern, use it in a smaller setting for best results.
4. Unique Personalized Patterns – the best thing about wallpaper is the fact that you can basically create a personalized mural without any artistic ability. There are artists around the world creating their own wallpaper brands and murals to appeal to those, like myself, who can’t paint. That also means the expense will be minimal and the permanent factor is completely gone since most now come in peel-and-stick options.
5. My all-time favorite and most customizable of them all: Paintable, Textured Wallpaper!!! You read that right – literally endless possibilities right here. This means you can pick the texture, the pattern, AND the color which can make your room completely unique even though the product itself is accessible to pretty much anyone. The most interesting thing about textured wallpaper is having the literal ability to create another dimension in a space which can create so much visual interest and add character in a way that would otherwise be very expensive. For example, many Parisian interiors tend to have intricate architectural details that are very difficult to duplicate but if done correctly in the right areas, could be recreated with a similar effect with textured wallpaper. It will never truly be the same, but for a fraction of the cost, it may be worth a shot.